Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Cultural Values

Today, we talked about how basic things (like roads and cityscapes) can tell a lot about a society's cultural and religious values. So, this inspired me to explore my dorm room and discover what my values are. I'll list off things that I see and think about what they would symbolize from an outside perspective.

Cell phone: A society in which it possibly easier than ever to keep in contact with friends and family. Result of readily available transportation. May result in low family contact.

Dorm room (general): High value on physical comfort. Because there are two beds in the room, there must be a low population relative to area of university. Shows the civilization's dominance over nature; there is now a line drawn between nature and humans. Humans may not respect nature as they once did.

Toiletries (deodorant, toothpaste, hairbrush, etc.): Value on physical appearance. Advancements in hygiene and self-care.

Calendar/date book: Time rigid. Life may not be in accord with the movement of the sun. Days are carefully planned, with little flexibility.

Clock: Shows man's creation of "time." Not according to sun. Possibly caused by distance of civilians, and their desire to gather at specified moments.

Books: Value on education. Most books academic or fictitious, none religious by nature. Perhaps not a strongly religious citizen.

Debit card: Value on material possessions. Enables user to acquire necessities and desires. Shows good trade and economy.

Computer: New form of communication. Direct socialization unnecessary. Value on entertainment and communication.

Well, that was an interesting experiment. I must say, it doesn't reflect well upon my values, or American values in general. The experiment might not have been directly related to religious studies. However, I think that cultural values greatly affect/are affected by religion. It was interesting because I didn't find any religious symbols in my room. That may reflect upon my personal beliefs, but I think that it also has to do with society. As someone said in class, Americans are so careful with religion; you rarely see religious symbols in public, because there are so many different religions represented. Another factor might be related with the separation of church and state. Or perhaps religious doesn't need to be physically represented? Maybe it is something that one carries in him/herself, and doesn't always need to show to the world. I feel that I am a spiritual person, but I don't feel the need to express it to other people. What do you all think? Do you think that symbols are completely necessary for the individual? (Not the community of religious people.) Thanks!

4 comments:

  1. This is a really neat blog, it certainly made me look at my room. I agree that people usually don't have a ton of religious symbols because they tip-toe around the subject (it's one of those things you cannot talk about: money, religion, etc). Also I think perhaps some may be scared of setting themselves apart because of the semi-violent feelings some people have about different religions. I don't think this used to be the case, but with religion becoming more and more political, society often makes assumptions about a person by their religion.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree.. really thoughtful. I like how you zero in on the time measurement tools and technology..

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree - I don't think that religion has to be materially represented. To me, spirituality is one of the most important things about religion, and often that's an individual experience. That aspect of religion may not be apparent in one's possessions or clothing.
    Accessorizing religion isn't a new idea, by any means, but it certainly keeps getting easier and more popular. People look at your necklaces, your t-shirts, your bumper stickers, household decorations to determine what religion you are and then make judgments based off of that. I've found that the absence of religious items in a home often leads people to jump to the conclusion that it's a non-religious household, when that may not be the case at all!

    I've also observed a lot of confusion that happens when more than one religion is represented. People have learned to rely on those accessories to figure out what religion someone is.
    When people come to my house in December and see a menorah and a Christmas tree they've asked me what that combination means in terms of my family's religion. I think there's too much emphasis on commercialization and not enough on the spiritual element (and, in my opinion, purpose) of religion.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think symbols are necessary to the individual in whatever respect they see necessary. I, like you, don't have any religious symbols on my person or in my room. I do however have things close to my person and to my heart that hold great value to me. They symbolize my moral code, or upbringing without being religious at all.

    I like that you view religious or spiritual symbols with a completely individualist lens. I absolutely agree with both you and Jaclyn that symbols are only necessary to those who feel the need to publicize their views or beliefs to a broader audience. I love that our society is accepting of each person's way of portraying or not portraying their beliefs.

    ReplyDelete