Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Religion and TV

So, I've been thinking more about religion and modern society, which eventually lead to me thinking about religion as it is portrayed in the media. It seems as though, in many TV shows, people who are religious tend to be portrayed as being up-tight or fanatical. There's the conservative Christian on the popular TV show. Or there's the passionate televangelist on the local cable channel. There's always something a bit odd about the religious character.

To me, it seems paradoxical that (if what I found out regarding young people and religion is true) religious characters would be portrayed in such a negative light, especially if it's such a societal connection. Perhaps, as religion is becoming a deeply personal ritual or belief, people are less open to expressing themselves. One of my other blogs talked about symbols being personal; maybe the expression of religion is, as well. For some reason, people seem more inclined to keep quiet about religion, and portray it jokingly. Perhaps it is because religion isn't quite "politically correct." As being politically correct becomes the norm, we are more aware of hurting people's feelings; perhaps they aren't part of a main-stream religion, or maybe they are atheist. So we portray religious characters less seriously. Hmm. I think that in every religion or cultural group, there are weirdos. It is unfair, however, that most Christians are portrayed as fanatical and close-minded.

Article on religion in TV.

http://www.catholicleague.org/research/religionontv.htm

3 comments:

  1. Well, for me, religion in youth society is not portrayed in a negative light, but in a way that doesn't hinder social interactions. If I imagine trying to make friends with a person who tries to enforce his/her views onto me, I am less likely to want to be their friend (unless I am of the same belief). To be socially available, it is easiest to have an open mind to the main-stream youth. "Don't make me believe in your religion ... It makes for an uncomfortable and unfriendly interaction."

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never thought about religious people being concerned about those not part of their religion or atheists. I would always think that those who are religious would be very open about their views. But this does make me think about how I think about religious people and how the media has affected that view, because I'm sure it has.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I find in watching media portrayals of religious people that the people who write for the media rarely have a good idea of what motivates religious people. I generally chalk this up to the fact that most people who find themselves writing for a tv program or something just haven't experienced thse kinds of people.. except at a distance?

    ReplyDelete