Thursday, April 23, 2009

Religious Identity

On Wednesday, we discussed how identity and religion relate. It was stated that religion is one aspect of identity. I think that that's true, depending on the religion, and society. In America, religion is a part of one's identity, along with race, gender, ethnicity, etc. Religion is just as important as those other aspects, but they are separate. Most Americans don't allow their religion to take over their whole identity. How did this happen? Well, for one, a person's (or country's) identity changes over time. As time goes on, different aspects of one's life (or country) are emphasized. For example, a homosexual person who lived 80 years ago would not be open about their sexuality. Today, as a result of the ban of gay marriage, this person would be proud and open about their sexuality. The person doesn't change-everything is still intact, but for the current situation they happen to be proud of one certain part of the identity. Another example involves women during the feminist movement. America is similar. As a beginning nation, America was a place of religious freedom and refuge for the Puritans. Over time, church and state became separate. Religion had a smaller place in the grand scheme of the United States. Now, America might be considered as a place of economic greed. In any case, most Americans wouldn't first and foremost consider themselves to be just Catholic or Jewish.

One's religion as an identity still occurs in certain religions in countries. For example, Islam. This religion is so strong in people's lives because it affects so much of their lives: what they eat, how they behave socially, what they wear, and more. The call to prayer occurs five times a day. With such a reminder, it's hard to forget that you're Islamic. Now what about Americans? I'll use myself as an example. It is not often that I am consciously Presbyterian. I hardly think about my religious upbringing, unless there is something that triggers a thought. I know that this also relates to my skepticism of faith. Even so, my religious upbringing doesn't affect what I wear or eat. My life and religion seem to be detached.
I don't know how Americans became so disconnected from faith. I don't know how religion became just a facet of so many people's identity. I do know that it must completely change the way you look at the world.

A bishop (from the Church of Pakistan) talking about religious identity. (Relevant part at the beginning.)

2 comments:

  1. This is a really thought provoking video. I also found it striking how strongly religion defines people in South Asia, but I guess it's not that surprising when you consider what a big part of their current lives and history it is. I also thought it was interesting when the bishop discussed the cartoon of Allah in the Danish newspaper that caused so much violence a few years ago. That kind of relates to my blog post from this week. I don't think that as Americans and non-Muslims we can appreciate in the same way how offensive that was. The important thing is just to be open minded enough to understand that some cultures and religions are more easily offended than others, especially those who most strongly define themselves by their religion.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found this really interest too, the differences in using religion as an identity between countries and over time, good post!

    ReplyDelete